Clear all

[Sticky] Saturday November 18th 2023

37 Posts
18 Users
25 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@playlord)

Well done David on getting a profit yesterday. If I've left anyone out, I apologise; please leave a message on this thread and I'll update.

Wishing you all the best on 'Mackeson Day'. I'm hoping Lady Luck will have the good grace at least not to slam the door in my face quite so early today in the big race. The only other race I looked at is the 3.39 at Wetherby where I reckoned Le Grand Vert ought to be 12s at most, so I've had a small EW bet at 33s. Ladronne put up at 13/2 on Oddschecker by Coral looked a gift from the  EW gods, but, as ever, when I clicked through all I saw was 4/1. 

Enjoy the racing
Joe

Screenshot 2023 11 17 at 21.44.34
36 Replies
4 Replies
(@elgransenor)

Trusted Member

The Priests's Leap. 12.55. Navan.  e.w..

Baciodilupo
(@baciodilupo)

Estimable Member

@elgransenor 

Is that pronounced “Leap” or “Leap” as in the village in west Cork (near Glandore)?

(@elgransenor)

Trusted Member

@baciodilupo it is actually a single super scary pass between Coomhola Bridge and Boonane.

The highest mountain pass in Ireland.

I once did it when I was young and capable of reversiing back 2 miles with oncoming traffic in the knowledge there was a 50 per cent oft my car tumbling in to the abyss.

I wouldn't do it now.

I was staying in Kenmare which is close by and thought it would be a scenic route to the airport I was flying from to London.

I missed the plane.

The legend is that a Catholic Priest on a Horse was chased by Reformists and the Horse managed a miraculous leap across part of the pass to escape the Posse.

It is pronounced Lepp or Leap.

Baciodilupo
(@baciodilupo)

Estimable Member

@elgransenor A great story!
I worked in Skibbereen for 3 years from ‘79, that’s why I thought it was Leap (also pronounced Lepp).

One beautiful Saturday summer morning I drove from Skibbereen to Tralee, via Bantry, Kenmare, a stunning scenic journey, a beautiful part of the world). 

Jake
(@jake)
Estimable Member

Tea Clipper 1.10 Cheltenham is the nap, well done yesterday David.

1 Reply
 Jake
(@jake)

Estimable Member

Heritier 2.12 Uttoxeter to replace the NR.

(@savoieblue)
Trusted Member

Did me a massive favour at the festival. I'm sticking with: 

Nap: The Real Whacker,   14:20 Chelts

Leo
(@leo)
Trusted Member

Cheltenham 2.20 Torn & Frayed (each way). 

I'm at Cheltenham today and tomorrow and this horse's name could be an indicator of how I'll be feeling come Monday morning. 

Really enjoyed reading our esteemed judge's  analysis of the Mackeson. Ive had an ew tickle on Authorized Art (5 places with Skybet) & I won't dive in until I've had a look in the pre-parade ring. Good luck to everyone today. I think we're going to need it. 

1 Reply
Baciodilupo
(@baciodilupo)

Estimable Member

@leo 

I’d love to be there, enjoy the 2 days racing and good luck with your bets.

(@highflying)
Trusted Member

Gyenyame  - 15.30 Cheltenham 

Pebbles
(@pebbles)
Trusted Member

Enjoyed reading your analysis of the Mackeson Joe and I’m going with Harper’s Brook (ew) in that race. He’s quirky but talented (I think!) and too tempting to resist at the foot of the handicap. That’s my selection today.

1 Reply
Admin
(@playlord)

@pebbles If the right handed thing wasn't niggling me I'd have put him up. Good luck.

(@gforce)
Trusted Member

I'd an expletive ridden day yesterday. 4 x 2nds GRRRRs and 2 x FFS - Jpr one and Harry's in the last. At present I've 6 for the PP so that'll need editing a bit. One that kinda stands out for me is

Nap 1310 Brampton Belle

not a prolific winner and zero in chases so far, but last time was a decent run, HdB can target horses at these meets, I like the jockey and trainer's only runner here today. What could possibly go wrong?

Baciodilupo
(@baciodilupo)
Estimable Member

NAP EW Final Orders 2.20 Chelt’nam.

GazP
 GazP
(@gazp)
Trusted Member

Like G/F, frustrating yesterday with 4 2nds plus the deflation after JPR One fell. Going good risk at all today 1.45C.

Harrytheactor
(@harrytheactor)
Estimable Member

The Listed mares' is full of promising types from both sides of the Irish Sea and the betting suggests there is no overwhelming favourite. It's worth looking for value among the extended e.w. places and the one I like in that category is Tour Ovalie. She was deemed good enough to debut in the valuable Newbury Spring Sales bumper and ran a creditable fourth in a big field. Her second outing was at Ludlow and she stepped forward to finish close up behind Hard As Nails. Evan Williams is in good form at the moment (won the Grade 2 novices' hurdle yesterday), and daughter Isabel had a wide-margin bumper winner called Flowango at Ffos Las last Sunday. You can back this one down to eight places at a big price (25/1 with Bet365) and I would give her a fair chance of finishing in the top half of the field.

5 Replies
(@gforce)

Trusted Member

@harrytheactor That caught my eye after yesterdays 'surprise' winner. For sure the trainer either doesn't like Rishi or was avoiding any meaningful comment after that winner.

Harrytheactor
(@harrytheactor)

Estimable Member

@gforce Eh? Why would anyone dislike Rishi?

Evan was being a little too self-deprecating yesterday - I thought his tongue was firmly in his cheek.

Admin
(@playlord)

@harrytheactor Sounds promising. I like Isabel and will have an EW bet to 8. Thanks.

Tom Jolliffe
(@tom-jolliffe)

@harrytheactor Great tip Harry and well done. Just the sort of bet that tempted me to renew my betting on 365. I did back to 8 places at 23s.

GazP
 GazP
(@gazp)

Trusted Member

@harrytheactor cheers for this Harry, nice return ew to 8 places, improved an average day.

(@danhorses)

Hi all, thanks for the big race write up. Just looking at b365 and stage star is 5s to 5 places. Authorised art is 28 to 5 places. 

Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Trusted Member

Whistleinthedark 14:20 Chelt EW Nap

(@robicheaux)
Trusted Member

Walking on glass ew. Cheltenham 2.55.

(@john987)
Eminent Member

Summerghand ew in 3.11. 

(@jonathan-dawe)
Trusted Member

Quite a few trackers running today, but I'm going to leave it late in the day and play My Trump Card in the 15:50 at Navan.

1 Reply
Harrytheactor
(@harrytheactor)

Estimable Member

@jonathan-dawe JD, I'm sure you've spotted that My Trump Card is out of a mare called Screaming Witness. Bearing in mind the legal quagmire the 45th President finds himself in, that makes your nap officially a Well Named Horse.

Page 1 / 2
Share:
%d bloggers like this: